Hello everyone! I am absolutely thrilled to be launching Grapes & Watercolours. To celebrate and to kick things off on the right note, have some inspiration in the form of creative prompts for your own awesome projects and a free printable to motivate you.
Let’s get those creative juices flowing, shall we?
Prompts for visual artists
If you like to paint, draw, sculpt, or take photographs, try depicting…
- a childhood memory
- something you love like crazy – a person, a pet, your favourite food… For a more humorous approach, combine your beloved pet and your favourite food.
- the tension in the air before a thunderstorm
- something that’s normally too tiny to notice
- something very big, from far away
- what sunshine feels like to you
- a colour humans cannot perceive
- a complex pattern found in nature
- the tangible absence of someone or something
- the tools you are working with right now
Create a poem, a short story, a play, or even a novel dealing with (perhaps among other things)…
- a crazy chase involving a highly unusual vehicle
- a morally ambiguous letter
- what happens in the deep sea
- a professor of a subject you don’t normally find in schools or universities
- the crazy obsession of an outwardly boring person
- the return of the defeated idealist
- a hundreds-of-years-old everyday object that tells a story
- the flowers on an unmarked grave
- a silversmith who has an illegal sideline of business
- a freak accident that turned someone invisible
Film makers could use both the visual arts and the writing prompts, depending on whether or not you’re using a narrative approach.
Prompts for musicians, singers, songwriters
Play a melody or sing/write a song about…
- the morning light
- someone who had a strong influence on your becoming who you are
- the most exhilliaratingly wonderful, or most crushingly horrible moment of your life
- the feeling of being only half-awake
- your favourite scent
- falling leaves
- something that you believe would make the world a better place
- something or someone you miss
- the weirdest thing anyone has ever said to you
- a plant growing
And finally, if you need a little something extra to keep you motivated and inspired (No, I’m not talking about wine! Although…) – you can download this free printable to remind you of your creative goals and aspirations.
Are you the procrastinating type? Maybe you should print a reminder to focus instead. Or both – why not? Either way, have fun creating! I’d love to hear back from you and see or hear some of your work.